Your diet choices have a significant impact on not only your physical wellness but also your hair health. If you have been experiencing hair loss, various factors may be responsible for it, including age, genetics, hormones, environmental factors, and diet. While most of these factors, such as genetics and age, have little or no scope for alteration, your diet is definitely something you can monitor and change.
Consuming a diet packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals can keep your hair healthy, giving it the volume, strength, and shine it needs. So if you want to take your nutrition to the next level and see positive changes in your hair health, make sure you include the following 10 foods in your diet:
- Eggs: Eggs are packed with protein and biotin – an essential nutrient that promotes hair growth. Since our hair follicles mostly comprise protein, our diet must include adequate protein. Biotin stimulates the production of keratin, a hair protein that promotes follicle growth. Eggs also contain nutrients like zinc and selenium, which boost hair health.
- Spinach: Spinach has all the beneficial nutrients that boost hair growth, such as iron, vitamin A and C, folate, vitamin E, and biotin. Often, hair loss is linked to iron deficiency. Spinach helps fill this deficiency, fuelling your body’s metabolism and supplying oxygen to the follicles.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are a rich source of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that gets converted into vitamin A and revives dull damaged hair. Vitamin A also leads to sebum production in the scalp, which nourishes the hair and scalp.
- Berries: Berries are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants that improve hair growth. They contain vitamin C, which aids iron absorption and boosts collagen production, a protein that strengthens the hair structure. Berries also supply the body with antioxidants that help protect the hair from free radicals.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish contain protein and nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D3 and B vitamins, and selenium, which are excellent for hair health. Fish such as tuna, wild salmon, herring, mackerel, and sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Avocados: Vitamin E protects the hair from free radicals, stimulates blood circulation, and increases the supply of oxygen to the scalp. Avocados are a great source of vitamin E, B-vitamins, potassium, folic acid, and omega-9, all of which promote hair growth.
- Flax Seeds and Chia Seeds: Flax seeds and chia seeds are full of omega-3 fatty acids. If you are battling hair loss, flax seeds are a great addition to your diet. You can munch on them raw or add them to your cereal, smoothies, or puddings. They provide moisture and nourishment to your scalp.
- Nuts: Nuts are not only easy to consume, but they are tasty too. They have an array of nutrients that aid healthy hair growth, such as zinc, B vitamins, fatty acids, biotin, magnesium, and selenium which nourish the scalp and strengthen the hair follicles.
- Shrimp: Shrimp is high in several minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins, including iron, zinc, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids, which can support hair growth and promote brain and heart health.
- Yogurt: Natural, unsweetened yogurt is full of nourishing proteins, vitamin A, and probiotics. Probiotics help your body absorb nutrients, cleanse the scalp, and get rid of dead skin cells, enabling healthy hair growth.
Please contact a hair restoration expert for further advice on the best foods to eat for maintaining healthy hair and any hair loss and hair thinning issues.
If you browse the internet for ”the best hair transplant near me,” our experts at Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration rank among the best teams of hair surgeons in Maryland. Schedule a consultation with our experts today for customized hair restoration solutions.
Dr. Douglas Burka is a Board Certified General Surgeon who completed his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington DC. As the founder of the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration, Maryland, Dr. Burka’s goal is to assist patients suffering from hair loss to regain their confidence. Since hair restoration is a major decision for most patients, his clinic follows a strict “no sales pressure” policy. Reputed as a highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeon, he and his team of expert medical professionals provide superior and personalized hair loss treatment to patients.