As much as we hate to admit, hair loss in women is more common than we think. Statistics prove that over 40% of women experience hair loss in the US. About 33% of women undergo alopecia or hair loss at some point. Several reasons can cause hair loss in women, and often, hair loss can also be a symptom of an underlying health problem. Some of the major causes leading to hair loss in women include hormonal imbalance, genetics, lifestyle choices, stress and trauma, autoimmune disorders such as thyroid, poor diet choices, and more.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, shedding 50 to 100 strands of hair daily is normal. If you are shedding more than the normal range, you could be suffering from hair loss. To understand hair loss and its underlying causes better, it is essential to know about the different types of hair loss.
Common Types of Female Hair Loss
- Androgenetic alopecia or female pattern baldness is one of the most common hair loss types in women. This type of hair loss is usually permanent and is attributed to genes running in the family. Additionally, PCOS patients can have high testosterone levels resulting in androgenetic alopecia.
- Hormonal imbalance is a significant factor for hair loss in women. For instance, changes in the body during phases like pregnancy and menopause can cause a fluctuation in the hormone levels being produced, thereby causing hair loss. However, hair loss caused by hormonal imbalance is often temporary and returns to normal once hormonal levels stabilize. Some hormonal diseases include hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, which can cause hair loss.
- Telogen effluvium is a condition that occurs when you shed more hair than usual. This condition can be triggered by stressors such as childbirth, high fever, drastic weight loss, recovering from sickness, or stressful events such as divorce, losing a job or a loved one, etc. This shedding is usually temporary and stops as the body readjusts.
- Hair loss and hair thinning have also been linked to a deficiency of nutrients, including zinc, iron, biotin, Vitamin A, E, and D, fatty acids, folic acids, niacin, and selenium in the body.
- Additionally, weakened keratin and breakage cause hair to break from the middle of a strand or a few inches away from the scalp. This indicates severe damage to the hair protein, unlike traditional hair loss. The best solution in such a scenario is to allow the hair to relax and avoid bleach, heat treatments, and dyes until the hair texture is better and the hair growth returns to normal.
Treatment Options for Women Suffering from Hair Loss
- Various treatment options may help control your hair loss. Medical therapies like Minoxidil (Rogaine) can effectively treat hair loss in women. This FDA approved topical solution should be applied directly to the scalp.
- PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma therapy is a treatment option that has been gaining immense popularity recently. It involves drawing the patient’s blood, processing it to derive platelet-rich plasma, and injecting it into the patient’s scalp. This is a very safe process with little to no side effects.
- For more severe and permanent hair loss forms, there are hair transplant surgeries like FUT and FUE. These involve extracting healthy hair follicles from the donor area and grafting them into the balding area on the scalp. These techniques are safe and yield natural-looking results.
Are you looking for the best hair loss treatment in Chevy Chase, MD? Your search ends with us at the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration. Our team comprises expert hair surgeons in Chevy Chase, MD who can guide you with affordable and personalized hair restoration options.
Dr. Douglas Burka is a Board Certified General Surgeon who completed his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington DC. As the founder of the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration, Maryland, Dr. Burka’s goal is to assist patients suffering from hair loss to regain their confidence. Since hair restoration is a major decision for most patients, his clinic follows a strict “no sales pressure” policy. Reputed as a highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeon, he and his team of expert medical professionals provide superior and personalized hair loss treatment to patients.