FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantations) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) are two primary hair transplant methods. Although the methods appear similar theoretically, the main difference between the FUE vs. FUT is from where and how the hair is taken. In FUT, hair follicles are taken directly from the donor area, whereas in FUE, a slice of your skin is removed from the donor area.
Hair Transplant Procedure
Before either of the procedures begin, the scalp is cleaned meticulously. Then a section of your scalp is numbed with anesthesia.
Steps involved in a hair transplant:
- The first step is to remove hair follicles from the donor area, typically the back of your head.
- The hair in the donor area is trimmed, and the recipient is given local anesthesia.
- The hair strip from the donor area is taken out, the donor area is stitched up, and the tissue is cut into follicular unit grafts.
- Next, the recipient area will be prepared for the process, and the follicular graft units are transplanted on small incisions made in the recipient area.
- The pattern of making these incisions may vary from individual to individual
FUT – Follicular Unit Transplantation
In a FUT hair transplant, the surgeon extracts hair follicles directly from the donor area of the scalp. This procedure does not require extracting a small section of skin.
Here are a few advantages of choosing FUT:
- It’s most suitable for individuals who need more grafts
- Offers a full head of hair
- It’s much easier to have long hair with FUT, and it can further help you by covering your linear scars
- Requires a relatively short amount of time and is more budget-friendly
FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction
In an FUE hair transplant, the surgeon will remove a slice of your skin from your scalp (donor area). The incision cut may be long.
Here are a few advantages of FUE:
- Unlike FUT, FUE will leave no linear scar
- With minimal to no scarring, short haircuts become a viable option
- Best for individuals who need minimal grafts
- Heals faster than FUT
To understand which hair restoration option will suit you the best, schedule an appointment with a hair restoration provider. They can analyze the underlying cause of your hair loss and develop a personalized treatment plan for you.
Looking for the best hair transplant near you? Contact us at the Mane Center For Advanced Hair Restoration to get the best hair transplant surgeon to help you out.
Our treatments options include:
- FUE Hair Restoration
- FUT Hair Restoration
- ARTAS IX Hair Restoration
- HAARTS HAIR Transplant
- Long Hair FUE Hair Restoration
- Female Hair Restoration
- Eyebrow Hair Transplant
- Beard Restoration
- PRP Hair Restoration
- Medical Therapy for Hair Loss and more
Our team consists of the best hair restoration experts, including Dr. Douglas Burka. He is also considered the leading hair transplant doctor in Chevy Chase, Maryland. With over two decades of experience, Dr. Burka is one of the most renowned hair transplant surgeons.
Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration specializes in offering a variety of superior restorative and preventative hair loss treatments. We evaluate the unique circumstances of your hair loss and recommend the best hair transplant in Chevy Chase, Maryland. We offer hair loss patients with multiple advanced, effective surgical procedures like FUE , FUT, and HARRTS , along with non-surgical procedures such as PRP therapy to enhance hair growth and hair systems to supplement growth.