Getting a hair transplant is a life-changing decision. It needs a lot of research and discussing the pros and cons with your surgeon as well as requires having realistic expectations before making an informed decision to get the surgery done. What is equally important is to make sure you are getting the hair transplant procedure from a reputed, experienced surgeon. Choosing the right surgeon is crucial to get optimal results from the surgery.
How do I choose a hair transplant surgeon?
Here are a few tips for choosing the best hair transplant surgeon:
- Consult the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS), the premier consumer hair transplant society in the world that helps prospective patients screen surgeons who consistently exceed in the field of hair transplant.
- Thoroughly research a surgeon’s qualifications, skills, and expertise, even before booking a consultation.
- Ask for the surgeon’s experience in terms of the surgeon’s practice years in the field and the number of successful cases accomplished. Experience makes a massive difference when it comes to gauging the surgeon’s overall skills and expertise.
- Ask your prospective surgeon to show you before-and-after photos of previous patients and make sure there is no discrepancy in the photos presented to you. Ask for photos that show the hairline, the mid-anterior scalp, and the donor scars. Make sure the images are genuine and belong to his/her actual patients.
- Request contact details of a few previous patients. Get their feedback on how their experience was with the surgeon and his/her staff. Examine the negative feedback and reviews if you find any.
- If your procedure is technician driven, find out about the technicians’ qualifications too.
What is the best hair replacement method?
Given the number of hair replacement methods available these days, it is somewhat overwhelming to figure out the best hair loss treatment in Maryland. While all treatment methods are effective and can produce satisfying results, the best hair replacement method will vary from patient to patient and their hair loss causes.
Non-surgical hair loss treatments
There are FDA-approved drugs, such as Finasteride and Minoxidil, used to treat male pattern baldness.
Finasteride reduces the amount of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone responsible for male pattern hair loss. A decrease in DHT can slow down hair loss and enhance hair growth.
Minoxidil is a topical solution used to treat androgenetic alopecia. Unlike Finasteride, Minoxidil can be used by women as well. Minoxidil works by transporting oxygen-rich blood and nutrients to the hair follicles and stimulating the scalp.
Surgical hair loss treatments:
If your hair loss is significant, a surgical hair transplant may be the best way to restore hair. The latest hair transplant methods are safe, minimally invasive, comfortable, and give natural-looking, satisfying results.
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) are the most popular hair transplant methods. In FUT and FUE, hair follicles are extracted either individually (FUE) or with a strip of skin (FUT) from the donor area (usually the back of the scalp.) The follicles are then transplanted into tiny incisions on the balding area. Both these procedures are safe and can give the desired results if performed by the right surgeon.
What is the best age to get a hair transplant procedure performed?
As per hair restoration experts, people aged below 25 are not ideal candidates for a hair transplant as the causes and patterns of the hair loss may not be adequately determined yet. Therefore, experts recommend getting hair transplant surgery only after you are 25 years old or above.
Your search for the best hair transplantation in Chevy Chase ends with us at the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration. Contact our expert professionals to guide you with the most suitable options for hair loss treatment in Maryland.
Dr. Douglas Burka is a Board Certified General Surgeon who completed his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington DC. As the founder of the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration, Maryland, Dr. Burka’s goal is to assist patients suffering from hair loss to regain their confidence. Since hair restoration is a major decision for most patients, his clinic follows a strict “no sales pressure” policy. Reputed as a highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeon, he and his team of expert medical professionals provide superior and personalized hair loss treatment to patients.