If you have been considering getting a hair transplant or even if you have recently had one, chances are you have several questions in mind. Getting a hair transplant is a big decision that includes a lot of thought and investment. Since hair transplants are invasive procedures, patients need to strictly follow all the pre-operation and after-care guidelines given by the surgeon to ensure desired results. With so much to consider, especially when it comes to taking after-care measures, it is natural to have several questions. Patients usually have various questions regarding scalp maintenance following a hair transplant and getting the best results from it. This article will help you learn more about how to maintain your scalp and hair after a hair transplant.
Key tips for maintaining hair after a hair transplant
Here are few tips that can help you recover faster from your procedure:
- Do not scratch, touch, or rub your scalp – If you want to see optimal, long-lasting results, avoid touching or massaging your scalp. Doing so can potentially displace the implants, thereby interrupting the healing process and the outcome.
- Follow a healthy diet, keeping the salt content minimal – To ensure your healing process gets all the support it needs, make sure you include all the essential nutrients, proteins, and fatty acids in your diet. A healthy diet will nourish your follicles and will also aid in the growth of new hair. Avoid rich, spicy, or unhealthy foods.
- Do not shower with hot water – How you wash your hair after a transplant can influence the final result, and that is why you must wash your hair correctly. First, rinse your hair with warm water and use the medicated shampoo recommended by your doctor. After washing, instead of rubbing your hair, simply pat it dry with a towel.
- Stay away from tobacco and alcohol – If you want the healing process to be smooth and quick, avoid consuming alcohol and tobacco. Alcohol is a blood thinner, and several tobacco products cause blood vessels to harden and hamper your blood flow, reducing its oxygen-carrying capacity.
- Protect your scalp from exposure to sunlight – After a hair transplant, it is recommended that you avoid exposing your scalp to sunlight for at least 3-4 months. This is because the incisions on the scalp are sensitive to the sun’s ultraviolet rays, and too much sunlight can damage the grafted skin and the deeper tissues.
- Apply a cold compress as advised by your surgeon – Swelling and inflammation are common after a hair transplant. One of the best ways to alleviate the swelling is by applying a cold compress above your cheeks and not on the head. This is because the grafts are still fragile, and any pressure on the scalp can potentially damage them. Sleeping with your head elevated for a few days post-surgery can also prevent forehead swelling.
Follow all after-care guidelines properly
Usually, patients can return to work within 2-3 days of a transplant. However, it’s better to avoid strenuous physical activities for a few days. Your stitches are removed after 7 to 10 days post-surgery. You may be prescribed pain medications, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatory drugs for a certain period to treat your red and tender scalp. Bandages are removed within two days, and any scalp redness will subside within a month or two.
The key is to strictly adhere to all after-care guidelines and instructions given to you by your doctor for a smooth healing process. However, it is best to contact your hair transplant surgeon immediately if you face symptoms like severe or persistent scalp redness, pain, pus, fever, or infection.
If you are looking for a reputable hair transplant clinic, our experts at the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration can guide you towards the right hair loss treatment. We have some of the best hair surgeons that have the right skills and experience to offer you.
Dr. Douglas Burka is a Board Certified General Surgeon who completed his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington DC. As the founder of the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration, Maryland, Dr. Burka’s goal is to assist patients suffering from hair loss to regain their confidence. Since hair restoration is a major decision for most patients, his clinic follows a strict “no sales pressure” policy. Reputed as a highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeon, he and his team of expert medical professionals provide superior and personalized hair loss treatment to patients.