Everyone wishes to have beautiful, long hair, but it depends on their scalp health. Studies revealed that a healthy, clean scalp is essential to achieve hair growth. Generally, the scalp has about 100,000 hair follicles to support hair growth. If your scalp is not properly cared for, build-up from dirt, excess oil, and sweat can block these follicles, resulting in dryness, flaking, itching, dandruff, and thinning. Therefore, it’s important to take care of your scalp to stimulate hair growth and slow down the effects of hair thinning and hair loss.
Tips for a Healthy Scalp
- Clean Your ScalpThe scalp skin is more sensitive than the skin on other parts of the body as it is not typically used to the same kind of exposure. To keep your scalp happy and healthy, wash with gentle shampoos and conditioners that have moisturizing properties.
- Exfoliate to Prevent DamageAccumulation of sweat and hair products can stick around your scalp and damage it, especially if you don’t brush your hair. To prevent this, exfoliate your scalp using a scalp scrub containing clay. Avoid using scrubs that contain harsh granules.
- Stimulate Your ScalpMassaging your scalp stimulates blood circulation, promoting healthy skin and hair growth. You can do this yourself by massaging your scalp with the shampoo or buy a scalp massaging shampoo brush to get this done.
- Moisturize to Avoid DrynessMoisturizing your scalp with hair masks, serums, moisturizing shampoos, and leave-in conditioners can help prevent dryness. However, be careful with the hair products you use and avoid choosing anything that contains harsh chemicals that can damage your hair.
- Try a Japanese Head SpaThis treatment (from Japan) has become well-known in the US for its substantial benefits to the scalp and hair. With deep cleansing and vigorous massaging, the treatment ensures shining hair while minimizing dandruff and hair loss.
Along with these tips, to keep your scalp and hair in good condition, include foods containing protein, essential vitamins, and minerals in your diet. Examples of such foods include eggs, berries, spinach, fatty fish, avocados, nuts, oysters, shrimp, beans, flaxseeds, chia seeds, etc.
While following these steps can help maintain a healthy scalp, professional hair restoration treatment is essential if you have hair thinning and baldness.
Contact the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration today if you are looking for effective hair treatment in Chevy Chase. Our experienced, board-certified surgeon, Dr. Burka, is specialized in performing the latest hair transplant and restoration procedures with desired results. Based on your preferences and medical condition, we can develop an efficient hair restoration solution for you.
Dr. Douglas Burka is a Board Certified General Surgeon who completed his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington DC. As the founder of the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration, Maryland, Dr. Burka’s goal is to assist patients suffering from hair loss to regain their confidence. Since hair restoration is a major decision for most patients, his clinic follows a strict “no sales pressure” policy. Reputed as a highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeon, he and his team of expert medical professionals provide superior and personalized hair loss treatment to patients.