Hair loss is not uncommon. In fact, there have been numerous instances of encounters with bald patches among young adults. Androgenetic alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss that often affects up to 50% of both males and females. Androgenetic alopecia causes hair loss that may occur in patches, or, in extreme cases, may result in complete or near-complete hair loss.
Experiencing a lack of hair, especially at an early age, can hurt a person’s self-confidence. Hair adds a youthful look to one’s appearance; lacking hair can cause individuals to feel older than they are, causing feelings of depression and anxiety. Although there is no method for the complete natural regrowth of hair, there are certain solutions that can be implemented. One common hair restoration treatment available is through seeing specialists. If you are not comfortable with your appearance, you may consider this option.
Whether you are a good candidate for hair loss treatment can only be properly decided after consultation with a doctor. Therefore, if you are thinking about getting a hair restoration procedure, consider talking with a doctor about your options and determine if you are an ideal candidate for treatment.
However, if you are looking for information on hair restoration treatments in Chevy Chase, throughout this article, we will discuss in brief the different hair restoration procedures offered locally along with other details.
What Are the Types of Hair Restoration Treatments Available?
The three main types of hair restoration treatment in Chevy Chase include:
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): A treatment method where an individual hair follicle is removed from the donor region of the scalp that has less obvious hair thinning. Micro circular incisions are created on the scalp where the hair is thinning, then the extracted hair follicle is placed within.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation): Sometimes referred to as the “strip procedure,” FUT involves removing a long, thin piece of tissue from the back of the scalp. Then, using stereo-microscopic dissection, individual follicular units are separated from the strip and transplanted into the thinning area.
- ARTAS: Known as one of the most advanced robotic hair transplant procedures. This treatment helps the doctor carry out FUE hair transplant treatments with consistency, time efficiency, and accuracy, allowing for maximum follicle preservation and transplantation.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Hair loss can be caused by several factors, ranging from genetics to lifestyle.
The most common cause is a genetic predisposition, meaning many people inherit baldness or receding hairline through heredity means. Other causes include sudden and intense dietary changes. Additionally, certain hormonal imbalances can contribute to hair loss. Changes in testosterone and estrogen levels can affect hair follicles and result in apparent hair loss. Also, poor nutrition can lead to hair loss since the body does not have the nutrients needed to maintain hair health. Other causes include physical and emotional stress, or diseases such as thyroid, alopecia areata, lupus, and fungal infection.
Lifestyle choices, including excessive hairstyling or chemical treatments such as bleaching, perms, and dyeing can also damage the scalp and cause hair loss. Lastly, certain medications and medical treatments, such as chemotherapy, can contain the side effects of hair loss.
How to Choose the Best Hair Restoration Treatment?
You can opt for FUE or robotic FUE transplant if your scalp is soft or if you have little hair in the donor area, consequently preventing you from opting for FUT.
You could be an ideal candidate for the FUT procedure if your primary objective is to obtain the maximum possible fullness of hair from the hair restoration treatment. FUT may offer better coverage and fullness than FUE for patients who have substantial balding in the crown region of the head.
What Are the Potential Risks and Side Effects of Hair Loss Treatments?
The potential risks and side effects of hair loss treatments and hair restoration treatments are as follows:
- Scalp irritation
- Dry scalp
- Skin rashes
- Swelling of the scalp.
- Loss of pigmentation or changes to the existing hair color.
It is critical to discuss any potential side effects and risks of hair loss treatments with your doctor before proceeding.
How Much Does Hair Restoration Cost -Is It Worth the Investment?
The typical cost of a hair restoration treatment in Chevy Chase is $10,000. Depending on the specific variables involved in the personalized treatment, the price can range from $3,000 to over $15,000.
Why should you pursue a hair transplant? The great thing about hair transplant surgery is that the results are usually permanent. When performed correctly, it can provide natural-looking, long-lasting hair to a once bald or thinning area, giving you greater confidence and comfortability with your overall appearance.
What Are the After-Care Instructions for Hair Restoration Treatments?
A hair transplant is an intricate procedure, and for the subsequent first couple of weeks, you will need to follow a strict regimen to care for the newly transplanted hair.
- After the Surgery, on the Same Day: Remove the bandages following the procedure. Take your antibiotics and painkillers on time. While sleeping, make sure the transplanted area of the scalp touches the pillow as little as possible.
- 1-2 Days after the Surgery: Take a lukewarm shower. Do not apply much pressure; gently dry your hair. Spray the treated area of hair with the provided solution every couple of hours.
- Following Day 5: Wash the hair with gentle (baby) shampoo and wash off the residue and dried blood, if any. Again, be very gentle and do not rub too roughly.
If you follow these tips along with the advice your doctor gives you, your newly transplanted hair should heal in good condition.
Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration with the Best Hair Transplants Near Me!
Thinking about getting a hair restoration procedure in Chevy Chase? If you are looking for hair restoration near you and require expert advice to determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate for the procedure, consider speaking with Dr. Douglas Burka at the Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration. Receive a customized treatment plan and high-quality care. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Mane Center for Advanced Hair Restoration specializes in offering a variety of superior restorative and preventative hair loss treatments. We evaluate the unique circumstances of your hair loss and recommend the best hair transplant in Chevy Chase, Maryland. We offer hair loss patients with multiple advanced, effective surgical procedures like FUE , FUT, and HARRTS , along with non-surgical procedures such as PRP therapy to enhance hair growth and hair systems to supplement growth.